RE: Tires for Street Tire classs

To: "'Dave Rowney'" <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tires for Street Tire classs
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:24:50 -0700
Peter Thana and I have been running Bridgestone RE71s all season long and
I've been quite happy with them.

Any new tire after just 5 events is still going to have more than enough
tread left to run in the rain, so I really don't think you need to worry
about that.

As for dry traction, the RE71 is the softest street tire I have ever used,
absolutely superb traction.  It's only problem is relatively soft sidewalls,
so they will feel a bit mushy compared to the more top-shelf
ultra-high-performance tires.  But when you weigh the sidewall issue against
the costs involved, I'll personally take a very close second best for half
the price any day.  Also, one can consider the softer sidewalls as a benifit
for street driving comfort.

The life of the RE71s aren't bad either, even with such a soft compound.  I
bought my set a year ago, just before the last event of the season.  Since
then I've run 15-20 autocrosses and two all day track events, and they are
just now getting to the wear-bars and providing the best performance of
their lives.

David Parker has also been running the SP8000s for yet another season.  I
had a set of these before my RE71s.  Not quite as good traction, but much
sitffer sidewalls.  Doesn't seems to slow David down much though =P.

-Carl