Re: GGF & Tires

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, kkelly@spss.com, lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: GGF & Tires
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:23:01 -0700
Charlie,

Since you mention the old Boeing lot at Kent, WA, I'll comment on the
Bremerton, WA lot. The area where we ran the Tour is currently named
"Bremerton Raceway". The previously used airport runway and taxi strips have
been converted to a drag strip. There are several types of asphalt surface
material on the various areas. Since the very flat surfaces are on a slight
incline, you get a really different course running in the oposite direction
on the second day. All those "loose" first day downhill turns become "tight"
uphill turns the next day and visa-versa. The surface was not particularly
slippery, probably because it was quite warm (80-85 at mid-day) when we ran
but, the tire wear was the best we've measured on the three sets each of
Kumhos and Hoosiers we've run on the GS.

The Hoosier/Bremerton wear rate was 68 seconds of run time for each .001" of
tread wear. The Hoosiers, generally, have worn at a greater rate than the
Kumhos on same surfaces but the next best average wear rate, from four
events, on both Kumhos and Hoosiers has been on the McClellan asphalt lot
where our measured wear rate is 40 secs/.001". Our most extreem wear,
fortunately all on Kumhos, has been 16 at Atwater and 17 on McClellan
cement.

BTW, by extrapolating the 68, to estimate the life of a set of Hoosiers, we
would get a total of 180 50 second runs from a set. Anyone want to move to
the northwest? OK, OK, I know the answer. Even the locals up there were
oh-so-happy to ONLY have rain (a little bit) on Friday, during practice.

This last comment is really subjective, since I haven't run on the Kent lot
since '89, but I'm sure the locals are completely accurate when they say the
Bremerton surface is far superior to the old Kent lot.

        Don