Re: Rookies-Get instructor to drive your car

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rookies-Get instructor to drive your car
From: "avillasol" <avillasol@primo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:31:22 +0000
To Whoever wants to read on =):

Everything which has been said up to this point regarding learning from the
best is spot on.  Having an experienced driver race your car with you as a
passenger is invaluable to your growth as a driver.  There is no better
classroom than in your own car.  This is what the Evolution (McKamey)
schools are all about, if you can afford the time and $$ to attend one.  If
not, SFR has so many "National" caliber drivers who are willing to teach
people the fast and the right way around a course, if you just ask them.

This is my 4th year racing and I want to thank Rick Myllenbeck for being the
first person to ever ride/instruct me in my street tire shod MGB, and for
having enough confidence in me to let me be his co-driver.  Dwayne Komush
for all of the support and effort he puts into making me and his Capri go
fast.  He is amazing.  Chris Cox for all of his continued advice and
encouragement, especially last season.  And I'd also like to thank Ben
Martinez & Dave Jackson for teaching me to "feed the wheel."  I still
remember at the '98 Divisionals - it was at the hotel where they watched in
horror, some early footage of my MGB in-car cam.  Simultaneoulsy they
screamed "What are you doing with you hands?!?!"  They were so disgusted!!
It scared me how mad they were at me, but I always thought I was doing it
right.  Wrong!! =)

It's really great that we have such cool & helpful people, not just in DSP,
but throughout SFR.  There are so many other people in SFR who have also
helped me along the way, and continue to do so.  We're all working towards
the same goal - to be as fast as we can.  Some of us more than others.  And
I totally agree with Ben here, that I wouldn't be half the driver I am now
had it not been for the guys that I've been competing with.  And if I am
able to do well at this year's National Championship, I know all of these
guys will be happy for me because they've continued to push me to do well.

I would encourage the new people to continue to ask the more experienced
people for advice.  I still ask for advice.  I know Don McKenna is pretty
active in helping out newer drivers.  Maybe Don can give me a ride in Albany
next weekend??  Don??  There is so much to learn, you just have to ask
around for rides.

On a closing note, I just want to again thank Ben for his dedication to this
sport and the region.  And I also want to thank all of the people who have
ever let me race their cars - you know who you are! =)

See ya next time!
-Arie