Panoz's and Elise's

To: Patrick Jones <axng4me@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Panoz's and Elise's
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:47:45 -0400

Message text written by Patrick Jones

>>"I would like the Elise to run in AP with the other Lotus' around.
>>Unless John, Rich, or Pat object, that's where I will register the car
>>in a couple weeks after I get some mileage on it.

You are more than welcome to run AP. The only negative, from my point of
view, is that putting it into AP "with all the other Lotus models"
contributes to a group think of lumping all cursed Lotus models into one
class.
        It's like putting all the Miatas into one class or all the Porsches
into one class. It's convenient for the SEB but not fair to the
underhorsepowered models. And it is, unfortunately, how our Solo Events
Board and its McKamey-oriented Prepared Autocross Committee operate.

>>If any of the seniors on this list have experience writing to the Solo
>>Board, maybe you could give me some hints as to what they are looking
>>for.  For instance, do thousands of road-going Elise's made for England
>>and Europe make a difference?  Does Howard drink beer or his shirt
>>size?  :-)  "

The intellectual capacity and basic car knowledge of the SEB and the PAC
would lead me to believe you'd best buy a case of brew for each of the
listed folks and do a heavy load of pr work. Even then you're liable to be
disappointed. The major plus you have is the Elise is a NEW car and that's
what our volunteers in rule making really like.

That's today's reality as I see it. BTW, we have 9 stock classes, 6 Street
Prepared classes, 6 Prepared classes, 5 Modified classes, plus Street
Touring/street tires, Street Touring/race tires, and Street Modified.
That's 29 basic classes plus the parallel women's classes for 58 total. And
I may have missed something! (Rookies are a local class.)

--John Kelly

--John Kelly