Re: Site Map

To: Willis Pack <galbhome@home.com>
Subject: Re: Site Map
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:31:36 -0700
If there's a map that contains elevation data, the management at 3Com
  would have it. John is probably the best person to enquire about it,
  since he already has contact with them.

I wouldn't be suprised if there is no map with elevation data for that
  lot. Or if there is, it's probably hopelessly out of date. I have a hunch
  the contours of that lot have changed a bit since it was built. Making
  an acurate contour map would require good survey equipment (not the
  orienteering compass and distance measuring wheel I used for my map),
  a couple of people who know how to use it, and quite a few hours of
  their time.

The major slope areas I noticed are:

  * Along the northeast side of the hump, sloping down the the
      northeast. There's very little up near the north end of the hump,
      and it gets bigger as you move south.
  * Starting at the hump, and heading west below pole I there's a section
      of slope that goes down on the north side. It really starts
      southwest of Pole I and curves around so the cross slope if going
      west by the time you're southeast of pole I
  * There's a similar, but larger slope that starts west of pole H and
      curves around south of pole H and heads west. It's also lower
      in the north.
  * There is mild slope downward in all directions around the grassy knoll.

I'd be happy to include these on my map, I just couldn't figure out a
  good way that would be clear and not clutter things up too much.

The big problem doesn't really seem to be the gross elevation changes,
  it's the little bumps that wouldn't really show up on a contour map.
  Well, the long hump running from Pole H to the NNW is a significant
  problem, but it's on my map.

There were a couple of bumpy areas on the course that I'd never noticed
  when I made the map, when I went out on Friday afternoon to preview
  the course, or when we set it up on Saturday. They're the sort of
  stuff that's not obvious on foot, but gets noticeable at driving
  speed.

One was in the northwest corner, before that straight across the north
  end of the course. Once you've gotten beyond the north end of the
  hump it's really fairly flat up there, but I noticed a lot of
  bumpiness as I took that corner.

At the next few Candlestick events, I'll probably spend a fair amount of
  time prowling the lot (assuming the event chair ok's it, of
  course) paying attention to where things seem to be problematic.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA

In message <392B53E1.A85ABE4@home.com>, Willis Pack writes:
> A question for Keith Hearn, John Kelly and any others who may have
> access to the data (most likely engineering drawings for drainage). If
> we (someone) can come up with that information, I can combine it with a
> site basemap (probably the one Keith has generated, format dependent)
> and produce displays (maps, etc.) that reflect the shape of the lot,
> slopes, ridges, etc. This is one component of the software developed by
> my employer. Having this information in an easy to use form would enable
> designers to highlight problems easily. Years ago, when I was much more
> active, I almost had a countour map of the Pleasanton Fairgrounds in my
> head, and it helped me avoid radical changes when setting up a course.
>
> In any case, if someone can get the elevation data, I'll put it
> together. Who knows maybe the modifieds can come back?
>
> Skip Pack
> galbhome@home.com (h)
> 925 256-0358 (h)
> skip@dgi.com (w)
> 510 522-0700

This email server is running an evaluation copy of the MailShield anti-
spam software. Please contact your email administrator if you have any
questions about this message. MailShield product info: www.mailshield.com