Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: Scot Zediker <mx5_1991@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:13:46 -0800
Of course it's the 6000 hp that's moving the train. You can get
that 6000 hp any way you want. The train uses 35,014 ft. lbs. at
900 RPM. But you could also get it with 3,500 ft. lbs. at 9,000
RPM, or with 350 ft. lbs. at 90,000 RPM. Either way it's gobs of
power.

BTW, what's the most powerful engine made in the world? Is it the
nuclear reactor on aircraft carriers? It takes a LOT of power to
push a ship the size of the empire state building through the
ocean at speeds fast enough that you could waterski off the back.