Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: "Allendorfer, Peter" <Peter@regionofdoom.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 20:00:51 -0800
He sounds like an interesting character, but some of his comments
contradict reality thus should be taken with a grain of salt.
He's basically saying the following:

"Low torque, high RPM engines are unreliable and have narrow
torque curves. If you give them tall gears spaced far apart, they
will not perform well." The first part is wrong, the second is
obvious but irrelevant.

That made me think, perhaps the opposite is also true, viz: "If
you take a high torque, low RPM engine, with a broad torque
curve, and give it short gears very close together, it will not
perform well."

Hmmm. . . now we have symmetric silliness.

His comments about the reliability of high RPM operation are way
off the mark. His assumption that high RPM engines can't have
flat torque curves is wrong. His failure to consider gearing is
inscrutable. Enough abstract, let's get concrete. Case in point:
two motorcycles, a Honda Magna and a Harley Davidson fat boy. The
Magna has a 10,000 RPM redline, the Harley is 5,000 RPM. The
Magna has only 50 ft. lbs. of torque. The Harley has 75 ft. lbs.
of torque. Both have five gears. The Magna is smoother, more
reliable, lasts longer, and accelerates faster at every speed.
Why? It's smoother and more reliable because it's designed
better. It has a short stroke / large bore displacement which
reduces engine stress because the pistons move slower and have
less inertia. It accelerates faster because it has more power and
less mass.

Of course the Harley sounds better but that's not T.O.O.'s
argument. . .