Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:50:12 -0800
Andy McKee wrote:
> a slower ground speed than the one at high rpm(duh).  However their
> acceleration potential at those differing speeds will be the same because
> the torque is the same (disregarding the differing air resistance due to >
>speed).

So, you're saying that each car, both 500rpm short of redline with a
perfectly flat torque curve, one at 13mph and one at 28 mph will have
the same acceleration potential, with identical drivetrains?  Drivetrain
and valvetrain losses go up as rpm goes up, and of course air resistance
would go up.  I suspect that the higher horsepower curve car might have
less accelerative potential.

But, I'm just a psychology major.

Remember, acceleration is work, not force.  Torque is a measure of
force, Horsepower is a measure of power or work.  (force over time.)

        -Kit