Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: mrc01@flash.net
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:38:36 -0800 (PST)
> I remember. The 550 is actually 552.59. 1 horsepower is 746
> watts, 1 lb. ft. is 1.35 n*m. 746 / 1.35 = 552.59.

So how come it is 746 watts per hp?  You're still missing the question.  Unit
conversions are fine and dandy, but I was wondering how 550 ft-lbf/s became
1hp.

> Engine B uses gear ratios that are twice as short as Engine A, so
> both have the same shift points at the same speeds -- say, 1st to
> 30 mph, 2nd to 60 mph, etc. Regardless of which engine you pick,
> your car will have the same shift points and both engines have a
> flat torque curve.

*snipping extreme Clements verbiage*

Mike, did you read my "all else being equal", which includes gear ratios?  I
didn't think so, because your scenario of low rpm vs. high rpm torque bands
immediately goes into changing the gear ratios.  Thanks for supporting my
argument about making sweeping statements, you immediately need to clarify them
with conditions. Of course, if the two cars had identical powertrains after the
crank then the one producing the same torque at lower rpm will be travelling at
a slower ground speed than the one at high rpm(duh).  However their
acceleration potential at those differing speeds will be the same because the
torque is the same (disregarding the differing air resistance due to speed).

Do we need to continue this further?  I think you know what you are talking
about, I just hate general statements.:-)

-Andy
Do You Yahoo!?