Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:13:56 -0800
Kit Wetzler wrote:
> Remember, acceleration is work, not force.  Torque is a measure of
> force, Horsepower is a measure of power or work.  (force over time.)

Right. That's why power determines acceleration, while Torque and
RPM are equal contributors each of which in itself means nothing.

Now let me take Katie's advice and provide a simple example.

Imagine a see-saw. Torque is how much weight you apply, RPM is
the leverage, and Power is the product of weight and leverage.
Now picture a big fat guy and Andy McKee balancing each other on
the see-saw. To balance each other, the big fat guy sits closer
to the center and Andy sits farther out. The big fat guy is V8:
high torque (force), low RPM (leverage) and Andy is the wankel:
low torque, high RPM. Both are balanced, so they are exterting
the same torque at the center of the see-saw (torque to the wheel
of the car at the road).

It is the product of force and leverage that determines which way
the see-saw swings, and it is the product of Torque and RPM that
determines the acceleration of the car. That's Power.

--
Michael R. Clements
mrc01@flash.net