Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National

To: 127dp@bellsouth.net, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:17:13 EST
In a message dated 2/21/2006 9:37:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
127dp@bellsouth.net writes:

Greg,  GH,

If you read 2.1.A it states:  " Speeds on straight stretches  should not
normally exceed the low 60's (mph) for the fastest stock and  street prepared
cars".    Clearly this does not apply to cars  prepared in excess of the
stock and street prepared rules (ie. Prepared  and Modified cars).  Using
this as the example, one can logically  believe the term "unprepared", used
in exactly the same context just two  sentences further down 2.1.A, is
intended to indicate stock and street  prepared category cars.

Steve Hoelscher

Steve,

I believe this is a case where either your interpretation or mine of  that
sentence could be a reasonable one, which is why I think it's a  problem
in the context of what happened this weekend.

I was on the SEB in '96 when the re-write of 2.1.A went in the  rulebook.
Ten years is a long time ago, and I don't recall whether the choice  of
the word "unprepared" was discussed or not.  I suspect that  sentence
may have been a carryover from the previous wording of the rule.  I  do
believe, however, that if we had intended "unprepared" (as opposed to
"non-Prepared", for example) to refer to Stock and SP cars, we would
have used more specific language.  That year's SEB was NOTHING  if
not anal about rulebook language. :-)

I simply can't think of ANY sentence that I would compose for use in
that rule that would use the word "unprepared" to refer to Stock and
SP cars.  The other clue for me is that I can find no other use of  the
word unprepared in any other part of the rulebook.

GH