Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National

To: "Steve Hoelscher"<127dp@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:09:24 -0600
Nicely written, and much appreciated.  I have insert a couple of questions
to better understand.

Thanks.

Greg Scharnberg

At 06:06 PM 2/20/2006 -0500, Steve Hoelscher wrote:
>snip--------
>On the issue of the ruling:  The protest committee must first determine
>legality.  The course was protested under 2.1.A.    The protest committee
>found the course was in excess of 2.1.A in respect to this sentence:
>"Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in unprepared
>cars."

How many Unprepared cars were entered in the event?  You usually don't see
very many newbies at Tours.

>Results:   The second step in the process is the action taken by the
>protest committee once it votes to uphold a protest.  Because the course
>was found to be in excess of the rules times resulting from said illegal
>course are illegitimate.   Therefore, the logical course of action was to
>throw out all times from that course.  Without this action, the final
>results would have been, at least in part, determined by times that were
>illegitimate.  Allowing illegitimate times to stand undermines the
>credibility of the event.  This was not a decision taken lightly.  In
>fact, during the process of hearing this protest, the PC adjourned several
>times for the purpose of investigation, review and consultation.  I
>personally met with another member of the SEB, Howard Duncan and (via
>telephone) SCCA Risk Management.   The Committee was well aware of the
>impact that its decision would have and anticipated that there would be
>considerable public debate among the membership.   However, The Committee
>also knew that they could not allow their decision to be influenced by the
>prospect of such debate.

Was something like a letter of reprimand considered?  At least then it
would be on  the record, without screwing all those that ran the event.