Re: Autocrossing In the Rain

To: "adam popp" <raft321@fuse.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocrossing In the Rain
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:20:08 -0500
Rain is the great equalizer.

And after doing this some 35 years, I finally acquired rain tires a couple
of years ago -- now it's even more fun!

And I'm in an open roadster -- don' need no steenkin' wipers! But full-face
helmet is a must!

Autocrossing, as much as anything else, is about challenging yourself.
Usually you get a never-before-seen course every event. Different sites
present different surfaces.  Different course designers create different
challenges. It's all problem solving at speed -- and wet surface is just
another problem to solve on the way to fast times.

If your local events had a no running in the rain rule, all you would really
do is deny yourself the opportunity to acquire skills you may need someday
when it is important -- like at Nationals. Or to avoid that highway accident
sometime (let me tellya about the guy who spun across five lanes of I-55
north of St. Louis in a rainstorm one time, and right across my nose as I
was towing my race car, and knowing how to slow down without skidding and
avoid the collision).

As for working in the rain -- get a good golf umbrella.

--Rocky Entriken (my first Solo II victory came in a downpour).