Re: Another Shock Question

To: christina_andersen@yahoo.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another Shock Question
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:05:33 EST
In a message dated 3/11/03 8:20:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
christina_andersen@yahoo.com writes:

> I am in need of putting Koni shocks on my '03 Mustang
> GT.
>
> Most advice I've gotten says Koni yellows all the way
> around, however I also understand that the back shocks
> should be set soft and left that way.  Does anybody
> know why a set of non adjustable Koni's couldn't or
> shouldn't be substitued for the adjustables in back?
>
> The Koni rep told me the only difference between
> yellow and red is that reds are not adjustable once
> they are put on.....

> Thanks,
>
> Chris Andersen
> #?!  Just getting my car set up!

Chris,

The Koni "reds" ARE adjustable, but you do have to unbolt them from the
car in order to adjust them.  Just a slight variation on your explanation
above.

That said, there IS a difference in the valving.  The Koni "yellows" are
valved more aggressively (stiffer) than the "reds".  That doesn't mean that
you can't put yellows on the front of your Mustang and reds on the rear,
only that the reds would have to be adjusted up some amount from full
soft to equal the full soft setting on the yellow rears.  Without getting too
technical, there's no reason that combo won't work, just that you may
need to play with the adjustment of the rears a little to get things right,
which means taking them off the car, which you wouldn't have to do with
the yellows. <g>  If you want to save a little money by going with the reds
in the rear they should be fine, just be aware you might have to fiddle with
them a little initially to get them set properly.  After that you should be
able to leave them alone and just have fun driving.

GH Sharp
SF Motorsports
Koni Distributor