Re: Another Shock Question

To: christina_andersen@yahoo.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another Shock Question
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:16:15 -0500
At 09:41 AM 3/12/03 -0500, Ghsharp@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/12/03 5:27:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>greendotracing@netzero.net writes:
>

> > So if the yellows are/need to be run at "full" soft, wouldn't the reds
> > actually be a better choice? Seems to me that if the yellows are run at the
> > full extreme end of the adjustment range, that is not likely to be
> > "perfect".
>
>Hard to say for sure without having the shock dyno curves for the reds vs
>the OE stock shocks.  The reds on full soft probably aren't much stiffer
>than the stock shocks that came on the car.  The idea of running the rear
>shocks (even an aftermarket shock) as soft as possible on a Mustang or
>F-body is to keep the inside rear tire on the ground as much as possible
>to reduce wheelspin coming out of corners.  You're right, Bruce, in that
>the "lower" adjustment range of the reds would allow more room to play
>in that area that the yellows would not, if you were using the yellows at
>the extreme low end of their adjustment range.  Depends on how much
>someone is willing to remove the reds for the purpose of adjusting them,
>and of course the lower cost of them IS a benefit, too.

It's my ever so humble opinion that running the rear of a Mustang that soft
would be a detriment to performance.  The Mustang is a VERY stable
transitional car, one that IMO doesn't require the rear to be softened like
an F-body does.  Besides I prefer to use a larger front sway bar to do two
things, tame the rear (again not a big problem on that car anyway), but
more to eliminate as much inside rear wheelspin as possible.

Having messed with a recent build FS Mustang with Koni's and a bar, I
wouldn't run the rears that soft.  As a matter of fact, I was around the
halfway setting on the rear Koni Sports, which is beyond where a Koni
Special's firmest setting is.

Lower cost is a benefit, but a small one.  I think it's worth the
relatively small difference in price to at least have the option of easily
adjusting your adjustable shocks.  :-)

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com