Re: tow vehicle question

To: <bburns37@att.net>
Subject: Re: tow vehicle question
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:31:08 -0800 (PST)
> The big lie about four-wheel drive is that often times, neither drive
> axle  has any limited-slip or locking feature. Even though both axles
> may be  locked together by the design of the transfer case, if both
> axles have open  differentials, you may find yourself in situations
> where one rear wheel and  one front wheel (usually on the opposite
> corner) spin and the other wheels  do nothing. Go trail riding with your
> buddies in Jeeps and other light,  short wheelbase four-wheel drive
> vehicles and you will see this a lot. I  remember one time on a trail
> ride when a Suzuki Samurai got hung up on a  rough part of the trail.
> Opposite tires were on solid ground while the  other opposite tires were
> either in the air or on loose dirt. The Samurai  just sat there with
> opposite wheels spinning. A couple of guys jumped on  the bumper of one
> of the corners that was spinning and the Samurai dug  itself out.

My 2001 Tahoe has three-wheel drive (open diff in front), at least until
the Track-Lock blows up in back. It's stock, and has been up or down just
about every black diamond trail at Hollister Hills, albeit very slowly.
The Jeep guys hate me.  ;)

It also gets exactly the same gas mileage as my 1993 Miata - 18mpg.  Of
course, I drive the two somewhat differently.  The Miata guys hate me too.
 ;)

KeS