Re: Insurance study of racing drivers

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>,
Subject: Re: Insurance study of racing drivers
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:37:16 -0500
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
> Isn't that "just drafting?"  :^)

Indeed.  A long-ago buddy of mine (of whom I have lost track over the years)
was a Formula Vee driver until the lure of rock-climbing became stronger.
As most of you know, in Formula Vee racing a respectful following distance
is about an inch and a half.

Jim was an aggressive driver on the freeway in his Firebird.  Especially
tailgating.  When I was riding with him, I'd just tighten the belts and hope
for the best.

We were on the way to Road America in my Dad's 1970 Suburban (the one I have
now is two Suburbans later), with Jim's Formcar on the trailer behind.  I
was taking a nap in shotgun when I opened my eyes and was staring at a
license plate.  Jim was drafting a semi to pad our gas mileage.  I suggested
that since this was the last year that Suburbans came with drum brakes, that
he back the hell off.

I heck of a nice guy and a good race driver.  When it rained, he could beat
all the newer cars with that old Formcar.

The problem is that he didn't transfer his skill to defensive driving
techniques when on the road.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org