Re: Insurance study of racing drivers

To: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>,
Subject: Re: Insurance study of racing drivers
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:47:12 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
To: "'Kevin Stevens'" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>; "'Carson Black'"
<cfbjr@yahoo.com>
Cc: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 1:04 PM

> <<
> If you couldn't stop faster than a pickup truck without losing control
> of your car, it *DOES* sound like you were tailgating.
> >>

> Unless the pickup was on all-weather tires with a higher ratio of
> vehicle weight to contact patch, than the sportscar which weighed far
> less and wider tires and said tires maybe weren't optimized for the wet
> surface.
>
> Not picking a fight kev, but their could be other factors.

Yes.  And those are the factors a professional driver takes into account.  I
rear-ended a car when I was young.  The tires on the front of my Econoline
pickup were not the best.  I should have allowed extra room on a wet day for
the possibility of the asleep-at-the-wheel driver in front of me waking up
when traffic was slowing down and panicking all over the brake pedal.
Simply put, I was overdriving my tires and not allowing for people in front
of me to do the unexpected and stupid.  I was embarrassed, even at 19 years
old, because I knew I could have prevented this by using my head.

I leave room in front of my car these days.  Two seconds in the dry.  Five
in the wet.  No collisions for years except the bear that thumped my Saturn
last Fall.

And I am DAMNED careful if I get caught in the wet in the Lotus on its Comp
T/A R1 tires!

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org