RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:49:07 -0500
-----Original Message-----
There is legislation pending that could either make DOT approved racing
tires illegal, or just make them so
expensive that they will be unaffordable to most or the manufacturers
will simply stop making them.
Nothing personal, but Hoosier has been living on borrowed time with their
DOT R compound tires for quite some time.  How old are the standards to
which Hoosier is currently building their DOT tires?

>From what I can find the DOT is rewriting the high speed test requirements
to offer safer tires for those dummies (SUV drivers?) who are obviously
incapable of maintaining proper inflation pressures in their tires thereby
causing blowouts.  The new testing requirements call for higher sustained
speeds and a wider range of test pressures to simulate an underinflated tire
on a long trip.  It's no wonder the Hoosiers with their bias ply
construction are worried about not passing the tests.  I do love the irony
of the "in your face" pop-up disclaimer as you first enter the Hoosier.com
site stating that Hoosier DOT are not to be used on the street.

C'mon folks, what modern DOT tire intended for use on street cars doesn't
have steel belts or at least 4 plies in the tread area?  Betcha Kumho, Toyo,
Michelin, Pirelli or even the now defunct BFG R compound tires wouldn't have
any problems passing the proposed new testing standards.

As to the increased cost for Hoosiers?  C'mon, they're already priced like
gold.  Maybe Hoosier simply has to face the times and produce a _real_
streetable DOT R tire like the rest of the DOT R tire companies or don't and
lose a lot of business.

BTW, anyone know what the sales figure split is between Hoosier's DOT tires
and their true slicks?  In other words, if they decided to stop making DOT
tires, how long would they stay in business?

Folks, this is NOT bad legislation.  Hoosier has simply been building tires
to a standard that is very old and outdated.  As fas as I can tell Hoosier
is the only DOT R tire manufacturer that this legislation would affect
adversely.

Eric (not really worried as I drive on "real" DOT tires) Linnhoff in KC
#69 STS
'98 Dodge Neon (see-dan)
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger.html