Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:32:00 -0700
This legislation would NOT eliminate DOT race tires, it would do something
far far worse.  It would limit their availability and raise their cost.
Something somewhere would still be made for those willing to pay.  The
spread between the have's and the have not's would only increase.

As far just making race tires instead of DOT R's, realize that there is a
significant difference between race slicks and DOT R's.  What keeps us from
all running on slicks without a DOT requirement?  There is all kinds of
controversy with our current tire rules, but frankly, I like things the way
they are.  It would be even better if Falken, Hankook, Michelin/BFG, Toyo,
and Bridgestone decided to compete more directly with Hoosier and Kumho.
This law won't be moving that dream any closer to reality.

-Steve Ekstrand
Cal Club's Maleficent One
www.conemangler.com