Re: Stock Class Model Year Exclusion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Class Model Year Exclusion
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:17:58 -0700
This idea is not intended to raise the entry-level cost of racing at the
local level but rather to solve the problem of National-level Stock
class cars requiring thousands of dollars of parts to be competitive in
a "stock" class. I think a solution can be reached that keeps the status
quo for local racers while still solving the National problem.

Right now we have a Stock class that isn't really stock and a Street
Prepared class that isn't really "street". Street Touring class was
created as the result of an effort on Team.net several years ago to
create a class that was what SP would have been had it been created now.
Since then the Stock class shock "problem" has gotten out of hand and
some people are trying to legislate a solution.

I think that the long-tem goal should be keep Stock class cars as stock
as possible while creating a true "street prepared" class. I think this
would save everyone money in the long run and makes a lot more sense.

So this is the way it would work:

Showroom Stock (no changes, recently produced cars)
Street Touring (all current Stock class mods plus springs, cone filters,
air boxes)
Street Prepared (as current)

Currently we have 9 Stock classes, 2 ST classes and 5 SP classes. Under
this proposal we'd gradually change the balance, reducing the number of
Stock and SP classes slightly while adding ST classes in exchange. Older
stock class cars would migrate to ST with little expense (a set of
springs and a K&N filter basically) while new cars would go into SS the
way they came off the showroom floor. This costs the existing low-budget
competitors little and could actually save them money if we keep the
existing ST 140 treadwear rule (let's not get that discussion going
again!). Sure it is not a perfect solution but I am not sure I like the
status quo that well either.

By the way, yes I realize that you can build a competitive ES car for
$10k or so but that is only because there are no new cars in that class,
in the other classes you're looking at taking a $20,000-$50,000 car and
adding $4000 - $8000 worth of equipment to it, which to me is pretty
crazy.

- Alan Dahl

P.S. An alternative solution would be to give up the idea of a pure
stock class totally and allow all Stock class competitors to change
springs which would greatly reduce the need for the expensive
double-adjustable shocks.