Re: Jeep Liberty Rollover

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jeep Liberty Rollover
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:07:04 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas VandenOever <tavandy1@airmail.net>

> I have agree with Andy on this one. I work for a rather blue collar
company.
> There are quite a few "ladies" and "gentlemen" who work for this firm who
> drive Expeditions, Jimmeys, Suburbans, and Excursions who believe that if
> these vehicles weren't perfectly safe they wouldn't be available for sale.
>
> Ford succesfully played Firestone for the pansy in the past media farce.
> Great marketing runs circles around common sense.

And it became even more amazing when Car and Driver tried to replicate the
accidents -- they outfitted a used Explorer with a cage and a dump valve on
one of the rear tires, ran it up to speed on a drag strip and deflated the
tire.  No rollover, even when the driver took his hands completely off the
wheel.  So either the Explorer's chassis is so flexible that the cage made a
difference, or we have another case of "I stepped on the right-hand brake
pedal and it wouldn't stop"-type hysteria that nearly sank Audi in this
country.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
'63 C10 Suburban (truck with a full-length top -- no SUV!)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr