RE: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 06:30:25 -0600
> Just finishing up the paperwork for open enrollment, and I remembered
> there was some stink earlier this year about a new law coming into
> effect that would allow health companies to deny coverage (either in
> whole, or per incident) if you participate in [undefined] "hazardous
> or dangerous sports or activities"... since I assume autocross, and
> definitely kart sprint racing falls under that banner, has anyone had
> any experience being denied coverage or anything?  I assume the SCCA
> medical coverage will kick in if mine doesn't, but I'm curious as to
> the progress of the law and its effects.
>
> For reference, here's a page with a couple of links I found quickly
> http://www.nynjtc.org/issues/2001/helcover.html
> I heard about it through my fiances horse activities (AHC)

I heard all sorts of alarmist complaints about that also came from the AHC
when at a state trail user's meeting.  The law does not impact any one in a
negative way.

The new law does not allow them to restrict your insurance any more than was
permitted before the law was enacted.

It limits the restrictions compared to the past.

Insurance companies have always been able to write those kinds of
restrictions into the policies.  In the past, they were able to deny any
insurance coverage to people who engaged in DEFINED activities.  (The
activities are undefined in the law because the law doesn't know what
activities a company may wish to define in the insurance documents).

The new law does not let them deny coverage to a person based on these
activities.  It only allows them to disallow coverage for injuries due to
those activities.  It also does not allow the policy to be written to
exclude one participant's exclusion, all exclusions must apply to all people
covered by the policy.

****IF**** (really big if) your insurance company decides that your
fiancie's horseback riding or your autocrossing is a risky activity.

1) they cannot deny you coverage or tell your employer that this will not be
covered for you (they could in the past).

2) the limitations on coverage for injury for those activities become part
of the general insurance documents and subject to review when your company
looks as what they get for their premiums.

We need to get rid of the nonsensical hysteria with facts.