Re: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?

To: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:01:22 -0800
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 3:12 PM

> Just finishing up the paperwork for open enrollment, and I remembered
> there was some stink earlier this year about a new law coming into
> effect that would allow health companies to deny coverage (either in
> whole, or per incident) if you participate in [undefined] "hazardous
> or dangerous sports or activities"... since I assume autocross, and
> definitely kart sprint racing falls under that banner, has anyone had
> any experience being denied coverage or anything?  I assume the SCCA
> medical coverage will kick in if mine doesn't, but I'm curious as to
> the progress of the law and its effects.

Autocross is specifically NOT called racing.  And by definition speeds are
"typical" of what you would encounter on the street.  "Hazardous or
dangersous"?  Compared to what?  While there have been a few deaths over the
years , I'd venture to say you're safer than driving to work on the freeway.
There have probably been more injuries to people tripping on the steps of
their motorhomes than in autox competition itself.  Of course, none of that
has anything to do with insurance company "logic". (Ain't that one of them
oxymoron things?)

Rick Brown
FP 240z