RE: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?

To: "'Darren Madams'" <darren@madams.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Health coverage for "dangerous activities" aka racing?
From: "Carol Holt" <cmholt@acsol.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:45:32 -0700
A quick note, as I'm a health/life agent.  Individual health policies have
always been able to exclude coverage for certain dangerous activities
(skydiving, rodeo, rock climbing, deep sea scuba diving and participation in
speed events are common ones).

The law gives group carriers (what you have if you're filling out forms in
October) that same ability - but, to some extent they've always been able
to.  It does not give the insurer the ability to deny coverage to a person -
it only gives them the ability to limit that coverage to exclude certain
activities.

Every carrier has different rules and most group carriers have never heard
of autox.  You will need to carefully read your policy (or, if you only have
a certificate, ask the company for a definitive ruling - get it in writing)
to know for certain.  You'll probably be surprised that injuries from
acitvities you also participate in are not covered (people with children in
organized sports should check this carefully - some have very specific
exclusions.

You should also note that exlcusion laws vary by state, so if you work for a
large, multi-state company what applies to the base policy at the home
office may not apply in your state.  Your local State Insurance
Commissioner's office can give you answers.

Carol Holt
Council of Motorsports Clubs
www.cmcrmr.com