Re: Jeep Cherokee Rollover

To: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Jeep Cherokee Rollover
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:53:12 -0800
> Actually, it was a Liberty.  No, I haven't written a letter, but
Autoweek's
> "findings" confirm what I've felt about SUV's for a long time.  They
simply
> aren't as good as a car when it comes to avoiding an accident.  And if you
> look at it enough, the type of motions you encounter in a slalom are just
> like those you'd see making an emergency lane change on the highway.
>
> There's a pretty long thread going on the Miataforum about this, and
> somebody said that the rollover occurred during an "extreme maneuver you
are
> unlikely to make on the street."  Apparently, this person has never driven
> the wonderful freeways of the SF Bay Area during commute hours! :)
>
> Scot

While I don't disagree that an SUV is certainly less safe than a car in most
potential rollovers, this rollover happened near the end of the slalom.  I
would say most emergency lane changes are single manuvers rather than
mutiple back and forth motions which tend to build.  I think it's pretty
rare to see someone spin in the first or second cone of a set of slalom
cones.

Rick Brown
FP 240Z