Re: Jeep Cherokee Rollover

To: "Karen Christoff, Ph.D." <pykac@olemiss.edu>,
Subject: Re: Jeep Cherokee Rollover
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:06:19 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Christoff, Ph.D." <pykac@olemiss.edu>
To: "AutoX List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 2:41 PM
Subject: Jeep Cherokee Rollover

> Given all of the previous discussions on vehicle dynamics in slaloms plus
> discussion on rollovers on this list, I'm wondering if anyone has written
> letter to Autoweek in response to their article on the Jeep Cherokee
> rollover during their testing?

Actually, it was a Liberty.  No, I haven't written a letter, but Autoweek's
"findings" confirm what I've felt about SUV's for a long time.  They simply
aren't as good as a car when it comes to avoiding an accident.  And if you
look at it enough, the type of motions you encounter in a slalom are just
like those you'd see making an emergency lane change on the highway.

There's a pretty long thread going on the Miataforum about this, and
somebody said that the rollover occurred during an "extreme maneuver you are
unlikely to make on the street."  Apparently, this person has never driven
the wonderful freeways of the SF Bay Area during commute hours! :)

Oh, the thread I mentioned can be found here:

http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=003630

Scot

Scot