Re: Keeping coil-over springs perched

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>,
Subject: Re: Keeping coil-over springs perched
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:29:19 -0600
I think GC's upper spring perches have holes drilled in them to tie the
perch to the spring, so that when the spring comes off the perch, it carries
the perch with it and everything comes back together nicely.

My Circuit Pro coilovers have a tender/main setup with 3" 100lb/in tender
and 5" 500lb/in f and 450lb/in r so that the system stays tight within the
strut.

One caveat to that is that once the tender spring compresses, it's keeping
your ride height 1" higher than it could be.... so that can be bad in some
cases.

For proper spring rates, add how much cushion you have from gluteal adipose
tissue and your car seats and divide that by how many bumps you have during
90% of your driving, and there you have it!

500lb/in springs handle really nice, but they're killer on big bumps and
places where long travel is nice.  Most of the other Probe GT's (2900-3000lb
car, ~62-65% front weight), run the normal 375 6" and 250 7" GC's.  I do
know a few running lower rates for comfort though.  My Tokicos are having to
work hard with the spring rates though.  1-3 settings are underdamped.

A few people on team.net pointed me to a couple of places when I asked about
ride-height and corner weighting:

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/techmain.html
http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.html

What rates are you going to get for the Neon?

Pics of my springs are on my webpage.

Brian