Re: I Think It is Time We Must Do Something

To: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I Think It is Time We Must Do Something
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:40:47 -0500
> I hate to be hard and callous but a driver's safety is ultimately his
> responsibility and his alone. Our sanctioning body, the SCCA, has tech
> inspections but I would be a fool to believe that I should rely on them
for
> my own safety.

I agree and that's the major reason I want access to the data.

> I have heard many times that the NASCAR drivers often loosen their belts
> during yellows and that they sometimes forget to snug them when the course
> goes green. Is NASCAR responsible for this? I think not. Similarly if a
belt
> is installed incorrectly by a car builder it's the driver's responsibility
> not NASCAR's to catch it and correct it.

If a driver is stupid enough to loosen his belts instead of tighten them
during a yellow there is not much you can do for him.

> I believe that the cavalier attitude toward safety that we see in NASCAR
is
> promulgated by the drivers. It's their lives on the line if they want to
be
> macho shitheads more power to them.

So you think open face helmets should continue to be allowed for racing?
IMHO they work great for autocrossing but I hate to see them at the track...

Paul Foster