Re: Local event fees

To: Jeff Lloyd <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Subject: Re: Local event fees
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:28:41 -0500
Jeff Lloyd wrote:
> Philly region tried this with limited success in the '00 season,
> it was not worth it.  and actually someone did get hurt running to
> a station on a hot course I feel it was dangerous,

Just to provide both sides of the story...

Philly Region did indeed try this with limited success at the start
of the 2000 season.  We abandoned it primarily because we had
changed too many things at once, events weren't running all that
smoothly as a result, and this was the most highly visible of our
changes as well as the simplest to back out of.

I firmly believe that changing workers on the fly isn't that hard,
isn't unsafe, and is a sure-fire way to gain more running time in
a day.  Of course, you lose course walking opporunities, so when
combined with a multiple-heat format that can be a significant
downside.

I'd be happy to explain the system if people want.  Our lack of
success is not an indication that it doesn't work, though your club
has to be willing to live through the teething pain period.

Mark