STU Rules Update Update

To: autox@autox.team.net, werace4u@aol.com
Subject: STU Rules Update Update
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:46:49 -0400
Changes that went in last night:

- added new displacement limits based on valvetrain type, as discussed
- changed wording of shock absorber rule from "as per SP" to "unlimited"
- changed wording of sway bar rule from "as per SP" to "unlimited"
- restored requirement for vehicle to be registered and plated

Notes:

 - OK, as silly as I think it is, enough people seem to care about the
requirement that the vehicle has plates that I put it back in. HOWEVER, I've
also put in language that all you need to satisfy this requirement is a set of
current plates. You cannot protest otherwise legal modifications because they
are not street legal in the car's state/province of registration - enforcing
that would be flat-out impossible, and if we even _tried_ to enforce that, we'd
scare everyone away.

Repeat after me: "This is a _permissive_ class".

I also added a paragraph stating that the SCCA doesn't condone driving
no-longer-legal cars on the street as a CYA thing. (Although upon further
reading, I'm going to tighten up the wording a little)

- On this being a "forced induction required" class: Yup, sure looks like that,
don't it? Now go read the rules for STU as they exist in the back of the '99
rulebook. Say, that looks like a "forced induction required" class too, doesn't
it? In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that _these new rules don't change
the essence of what STU is, based on the existing rules_. Neat trick huh?

I rather resent the implication that I'm creating a "DSM dominatrix class". I
think there's a passle of supercharged Integra Rs, M3s, turbocharded Neons,
Integra-motored Civics, DOHC Starions, hopped-up supercharged Grand Prixs etc.
etc. etc. who would beg to differ. For an "I" class, this one sure is wide
open....

DG