Re: STU Displacement Limit - An Idea

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>,
Subject: Re: STU Displacement Limit - An Idea
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:01:51 -0500
At 03:16 PM 7/15/99 , dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

>Points noted from several sources - OK, 2.5 is too small for OHC motors.
3.2 is
>too big.

Why is 3.2 too big?  There's a big community of "rocket-ized" M3's out there
who autocross regularly but NOT with the SCCA, and would love a place to play
in the SCCA.  And there is almost no performance difference between the 3.0L
95 M3 and the 3.2L 96-99 M3's (which is the great majority of M3's).  (There
is a little difference -- but its the smaller 95 engine that's faster --
OBD-II is a pain.)

> STU displacement limits are as follows:
>    - for overhead camshaft engines  - 3.000 litres
>    - for pushrod valvetrain engines - 4.000 litres
>    - for rotory (wankel) engines    - 1.500 litres

Interesting approach.

The Honda motors tend to produce surprising HP numbers vs. displacement.
Does that advantage continue to hold when you super/turbo-charge them??
If so, you may need a fourth category for VTEC.

Finally, are there any cars that come stock with _solid_ rather than
hydraulic lifters?  If so, how do they turbo-charge???  I suspect they
may allow much more HP and could use a smaller limit.  However, they
may not exist in stock trim.

Brian