Re: STU Displacement Limit - An Idea

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: STU Displacement Limit - An Idea
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:46:18 -0700
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> Points noted from several sources - OK, 2.5 is too small for OHC motors. 3.2
>is
> too big. So
>
>  STU displacement limits are as follows:
>     - for overhead camshaft engines  - 3.000 litres
>     - for pushrod valvetrain engines - 4.000 litres
>     - for rotory (wankel) engines    - 1.500 litres

        Sounds more reasonable. It allows the bigger bimmer motors up to the
'95 M3. But the honker 3.2's aren't allowed. I think that's pretty good
though. I would guess most of the target audience is likely to be
running the 2.8's and 3.0's anyway I think. Also allows for the bigger
4-bangers from Porsche. The VW crowd will like that too. There are
stroker kits for the VR6 to bring them up to 3.0L I think (or is it
3.1L? I dunno).

> > Rotaries, most commonly the mazdas are all likely to be 2 rotor 13b
> > motors anyhow.
>
> Does "13b" mean "1.3 litres"?

1.3L, yup. The A, B and other designations (G) are more for generation
or version identification.

> > Do you have any idea how expensive a japanese 3 rotor
> > motor is? Yoiks.
>
> How big is it? Is 1.5 too small to allow them?

        I guess you could build a 3-rotor motor to 1.5L from early 10A pieces.
But the 3-rotor motors from japan are all 2.0L, with the wicked scary
4-rotor motor coming in at 2.6L. I doubt a 3-rotor 1.5L built from 10A
parts would be able to compete against a well built 13b though.

        With motors being unlimited, I'd be hard pressed to pick anything other
than a bridgeported, supercharged 13b for my mega-buck fun car. Hmm,
let's see, front engine, four seats, has to be in the same family...
Gee, that motor could go into just about anything. I can just hear it
now! <BWWAAAA HAAAA HAAAA> What exhaust note? That was the driver
screaming! :-)

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/