Re: tires again!!!! Toyo RA-1?

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tires again!!!! Toyo RA-1?
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:41:26 -0400
My $0.0147US

The Toyo's are indeed good in the rain because they come with some tread depth
and real rain grooves as mentioned below. Another reason is because the
sidewalls aren't as stiff.
They suck like you wouldn't believe when new until you wear them in a bit. The
rubber marbles off the edges of the tread blocks for about the first 10-15 runs
and you will hate them. Then they start getting quite a bit faster. I imagine
shaving them would eliminate this.
They do last quite well, I get about 1/1/2 seasons out of mine (2 seasons on
front, 1 season on back) and drive them on the street quite a bit as well. They
are the best dual purpose tire out there IMHO. I haven't tried BFG or Hoosier
but I'm sure they are faster tires, I just can't see going through 2 sets of
tires a year and not being able to drive them on the street when I'm still
quite competitive on the Toyo's. They are a very popular tire here in Ontario,
now if they could just come up with some more contingency money or sponsorship
I'd like them even more.

Burl Vibert
1983 911SC A/SS CASC-OR
Kingston, Ontario