Re: SST vs. STU

To: richard nichols <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SST vs. STU
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:23:56 -0700
richard nichols wrote:

[snipage]

> >But there's a serious gotcha lurking in there - the emissions requirement.
> The
> >rules state that everything you do must be either CARB certified OR pass a
> state
> >emissions test
> >
> >PROPOSAL: Toss the emissions requirement as unenforcable.
>
> Here we have to part company.  The emissions requirement is one of the parts
> I like, if it means I've at last found a class I can enter besides Street
> Modified.  Emissions keeps us with an relatively open class that
> street-practical cars can be competitive in.

        I think that if we're trying to create a national level category, then
we have to toss the emissions requirement. As Dennis said, a car
registered in California is going to be seriously hampered by laws and
regulations compared to say, a car in Alaska or some other state that
has NO emissions requirements. I think that simply requiring that the
car be legally licensed for the street, maybe even going so far as to
require proof of registration, would be the way to go.

> Now if STU would stay with the "no R tires" exclusion of ST, I'd really be
> happy.  For myself, sure; but are the rice rockets running R tires on the
> street?  Drag slicks?  All I've seen are on (very expensive) street tires on
> (very expensive) wheels, so let's make it easy for them to play in a class
> they can win in.

        Sorry, I can't agree with you at all there. SST/STU is for all intents
and purposes and "unlimited" class. Why should we all of a sudden slap a
major restriction on the competitors by forcing them to stay away from
certain tires. If they're gonna spend all this money on turbo VTEC
Civics, then why shouldn't they be allowed to spend a little more on
tires? Nope, I agree that ST should remain on non R tires, but forcing a
a class like SST/STU into this doesn't seem right to me. If you don't
want to run on R tires, then don't.

        Dennis, I really like your last proposal, I think it has some serious
merit. I don't know if it'll actually be successful, and I tend to play
devil's advocate a bit, but I do like it.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/