Re: SST vs. STU

To: "Joshua Hadler" <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: SST vs. STU
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:16:50 -0700
Joshua wrote:

> As Dennis said, a car
>registered in California is going to be seriously hampered by laws and
>regulations compared to say, a car in Alaska or some other state that
>has NO emissions requirements

Wulll, gotta admit that what I know about how cars are hampered by emissions
these days is limited.  But my own turbocar, the SVO, was identically
equipped for all 50 states (CA cars simply paid more for that to be
"official"), and that's as far back as the 84-86 MYs.

As for equipment to make that possible, in addition to the ECU that monitors
all kindsa stuff, all it has is a single, very large cat -- no air pump or
any of that other stuff.  So I'll admit I have blinders on in that area,
'cause my own car is so simple.

But somehow ST in general, and STU in general, is making this work, 'cause
the street registered feature is already built into the rules.  *I* didn't
propose we add them.

>> Now if STU would stay with the "no R tires" exclusion of ST, I'd really
be
>> happy.  For myself, sure; but are the rice rockets running R tires on

> Sorry, I can't agree with you at all there. SST/STU is for all intents
>and purposes and "unlimited" class. Why should we all of a sudden slap a
>major restriction on the competitors by forcing them to stay away from

For the record, not that I recall Joshua mentioning it, in this thread I
haven't advocated keeping R tires out to keep costs down.  For me it's
strictly philosophical, and must have some merit, or there wouldn't be the
base ST class.  And I'd jump right in there, but they won't have me:  turbo.

The class is called "Street Touring" -- and we already have *lots* of
classes that allow R tires (like Stock, which never did make sense to me,
and Street Prepared, and Prepared, and etc., even the local Street
Modified).  Strategically it makes sense to me to allow ST classes to have
the R tires the other classes have (and in general, SP is lots more
inclusive as to mods).

But I agree it wouldn't be right to exclude folks who've spent time/money to
prep for STU from playing on their R tires.  It's just that, if we're
*really* trying to attract more players, Rs is not the way to go, even if
they've spent a fortune (I've seen *used* tire and wheel sets for sale here
in San Diego, which has a huge RR contingent, for $5k) on their street
setups, 'cause at least they can play on 'em.
.
Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com

1986 Ford Mustang SVO / 1C
VirtualTeamSVO Member

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan / 3J - Original Owner
Displayed @ San Diego Automotive Museum