Re: SST vs. STU

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SST vs. STU
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:05:38 -0700
At least this is an *interesting* thread.  :]  I wouldn't blame those who
might say they'll *scream* next time they see the word "turbo" -- but
speaking for myself, I *am* gonna scream every time I see the word "K****".
Is this an autox list, or an R tire list?  :).  Yes, my delete key works, so
I use it every time I see a "K" in the subject line!  Geez.

>it was I was talking about a new Super Street Touring class when STU
appeared to
>be pretty well what I wanted.

>1)   The STU rules need to be written out in full, just like the rules for
all
>the other classses - even when the STU rules steal an SP rule verbatim. All
that
>flippin' flippin' around in the rulebook makes it tough to keep straight
what
>rule goes to what class. If nothing else from this post is adopted, this
should
>be - OR - make STU a superset of ALL the existing SP rules, like SP is to
Stock.
>(more on this later)

Have to agree with this.  It's a b**** to get all this straight.  For
example:

>2)   Vehicle Eligibility: ST is open to all non-turbo, 4 seat,
>non-sportscar-based cars under 3.1l that don't have non-viscous LDSs.

This was clear to me.

>STU allows
>turbos and superchargers, and any drivetrain - so does that increase the
number
>of vehicles eligible to include factory-turbocharged/supercharged cars,
and/or
>cars that come with the "wrong" LSD from the factory?
>
>PROPOSAL: State STU vehicle eligbility as: "All front-engine, 4 seat,
hardtop
>cars under 3.1l displacement are eligible for STU"

Have to agree with this, too.  I mean, *I* didn't know that "(induction,
ignition, fuel systems, etc.) are unrestricted" meant that I could enter a
turbocar in this class.  The SP rules that ST depends so heavily on now
makes it *very* clear that "(induction, ignition, fuel systems, etc.) are
unrestricted" does *not* allow the addition or modification of turbos.  So I
took my cue from that.

>But there's a serious gotcha lurking in there - the emissions requirement.
The
>rules state that everything you do must be either CARB certified OR pass a
state
>emissions test
>
>PROPOSAL: Toss the emissions requirement as unenforcable.

Here we have to part company.  The emissions requirement is one of the parts
I like, if it means I've at last found a class I can enter besides Street
Modified.  Emissions keeps us with an relatively open class that
street-practical cars can be competitive in.

Now if STU would stay with the "no R tires" exclusion of ST, I'd really be
happy.  For myself, sure; but are the rice rockets running R tires on the
street?  Drag slicks?  All I've seen are on (very expensive) street tires on
(very expensive) wheels, so let's make it easy for them to play in a class
they can win in.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com

1986 Ford Mustang SVO / 1C
VirtualTeamSVO Member

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan / 3J - Original Owner
Displayed @ San Diego Automotive Museum