Re: SST vs. STU

To: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>, autox@autox.team.net, werace4u@aol.com
Subject: Re: SST vs. STU
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:30:40 -0400

> I think that simply requiring that the
> car be legally licensed for the street, maybe even going so far as to
> require proof of registration, would be the way to go.

I still worry about what that registration requires, depending on which
state/country you're in.

- some states don't care what you register, you could register a Formula Ford
for the street if it had a 17 digit VIN.
- some states just care about safety; you need an operational horn, lights,
brakes, muffler etc. but that's it
- some states don't care how the car is built, as long as the tailpipe sniffer
numbers are OK
- some states treat your car as if _they_ owned it, and getting a trivial
modification past the inspector is an act of God (CA)

>> Now if STU would stay with the "no R tires" exclusion of ST, I'd
>> really be happy.

> Sorry, I can't agree with you at all there. SST/STU is for all intents
> and purposes and "unlimited" class. Why should we all of a sudden slap > a
major restriction on the competitors by forcing them to stay away
> from certain tires.

Not only that, street tires are a false economy. Lessee, I can chew up a set of
$300 Pilots, or a set of $150 Kuhmos....

Besides, these guys _want_ race tires. Race tires are _cool_. Race tires mean
your car is a _real race car_

And hey, race tires are fun. :)

> Nope, I agree that ST should remain on non R tires, but forcing a
> a class like SST/STU into this doesn't seem right to me. If you don't
> want to run on R tires, then don't.

Ditto.

> Dennis, I really like your last proposal, I think it has some serious
> merit. I don't know if it'll actually be successful, and I tend to
> play devil's advocate a bit, but I do like it.

Cool - we're getting somewhere then.

Don't worry about playing Devil's advocate - that's A Good Thing. The more
feedback and critical thinking I get on this, the better the end result.

Besides, at some point it stops being a "Dennis Grant" thing, and starts being a
"Team.Net" thing. A "DG" thing is just another "I" class, but this is turning
into a "we" class - which means it's easier to sell to Denver, at least in
theory.

Holiday weekend: I'm taking the weekend off racing, and spending a nice,
romantic weekend with my wife on a military base. Next week I'll write up
everything nice and formal, and re-present it for another round of critique -
and we'll send it to Denver with more than just my name on it.

DG