Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring
From: "andredowney" <andredowney@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:15:48 -0400
(Been on vacation, sans PC, so I'm catching up.)

I would like to salute DG50 for continuing to fight for the liberalization
of Solo 2 rules it is the "good fight" that someone needs to take-up (we ARE
an elitist group/sport).

Having been to a couple large NIRA (National Import Racing Assn.) events at
Englishtown NJ - it is INCREDIBLE what these guys are spending on their cars
(and no, I don't believe its mostly illegal $$$'s). The total $$$ investment
in just the cars entered in the "my stereo is louder then yours" competition
would easily exceed that of, I suspect, of ALL of the cars at the Ayer's
Tour! So based on their numbers, resources and Solo 2s perceived need for
"new blood" we maybe missing something.

But as for creating a class for these "rice" cars, lacking a better moniker,
the only workable rules would be NO rules!  Or at least no rules set by us -
simply require that the car is currently registered, insured (?) and has a
current state inspection (don't bother to send a list of states with no
inspection). Maybe split them into forced induction and not and let them go
at it. (How many clubs could or would want-to get into classing cars by
weight?)

But this would not be a National/Pro class (i.e. Local rules). If they
become serious then they will need to conform to the rules which do prevent
a dilution of competition caused by too many classes and also control cost.

Andre Downey
ES VW GTI

As always, these opinions are mine and may not be worth the virtual paper
they are printed on.