Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:10:17 -0500

>> Consider these scenarios:
>>
>> 2) Competitor A and Competitor B trade wins at almost every event,

> I have to take exception to this...  I am involved in a region where a certain
> driver/car is dominant, and I've only been able to beat him once.  And
> you're calling me a weenie because I want to be sure that his car
> is legal, after competitors tell me it isn't?  Hogwash!

Uhhhh... no. This scenario is different than the one I stated - see "trade
wins"?

However, there's nothing wrong with inspecting a car that you _really_ suspect
is illegal, and if you do find something signifigant, then the weasel deserves
what he gets.

This is different from "Man, he beat me again. Well, no more. I'm gonna go over
there, inspect his car with a microscope, and if I find one little hair out of
place, I'm gonna nail his hindquarters to the wall. Hey, look, a rubber drain
plug fell out of a hole in his trunk. Illegal lightening! Protest!"

> Unless you have a rule comittee
> making decisions after each event what each person's handicap for the
> next event is, there is no way to even come close to ensure any hint of
> fairness.

Not person (that'd be impossible) but car. See the Skoda/Yugo example in a
previous response.

> Don't ask me to compete against somebody in an illegal
> car, with my legal car.

Just so that there's no mistake, I'm NOT. Everybody should always be in a legal
car, period. The trick here is making some of the things that people really
want, but are currently illegal, legal.

DG