Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: "Robert M. Pickrell Jr." <brnrubr@midusa.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:39:56 -0800
Well I would have to say this is nicely written, and extremelly friendly. So I
will
attempt to respond in like kind. Although I am sure you will be hammered by
others.

Let first me say I do not agree with you at all.This in my opinion is another
case
of let me do what I want. On a REGIONAL basis I would support this 100%.
In light of this I would suggest your write modifications to the current rules
and
present them to your for fincorporation locally. Be sure and publish this in
your
newsletter, and at events for visitors.

In Salina we have a simple rule for Regional Events. "Protest Hearings are heard
once a year December 31 of the current year at 11:59 PM at the Saline County
Landfill." Yes I am serious. If it is not a safety issue we are not inclined to
accept
any protests at a Regional event. We are here to have fun.

To make some assumptions in your case. It would appear that the people were
so wrapped up in WINNING that they forgot the fun aspect. This is not meant to
slam those involved. Yes I can see someone upset beacuse the other is "Cheating"
and beating him. My opinion would be, great I have competition to push me to be
a better driver. (By the way I refuse to accept local trophies from any Region).
>From the other competitors view point, if he quit because he had to change
>wheels.
Then I would ask was he having fun or not. If he was then why would he not have
fun in, a SP class; or just competing for fun.

Again my opinion, if either individual is so committed to having to win. Then
they
should
be prepared to follow the letter of the rules.

To even suggest this sounds like a weenie protest does not reflect well upon
you. A
weenie
protest, again in my opinon, is one that does not affect performance. I would
say
your
example was fairly conclusive the wheels did affect performance.

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

big snip

>  Can anyone provide an argument against:
>
> - Porche timing chain adjusters
> - Neon motor mounts
> - 17" wheels for C5 Corvettes
> - F-body subframe connectors
> - F-body aftermarket rear diffs (using stock gear ratios)
>
> _besides_ the "slippery slope / Pandora's Box" argument?

Yes this has been done over and over. I do not intend to go into the details of
each of these, some of which I know nothing about. Just because you and others
do not like the answer does not make them any less valid

> The "It'd be too much work for the SEB" argument isn't valid. The SEB works
>for
> Us, the Membership. If We decide that specific car allowences are what We
>want,
> then the SEB had better put its heels together and do it. The SEB works for
>the
> Members, not vice versa. (sorry SEB guys - sometimes "right" and "easy" are
> mutually exclusive)

 Uh No, they do not "work" for us. They volunteer thier time to help us and our
sport.
Like and orgainization you and everyone else has the right to apply form the
SEB,
lobby to get like thinking people on the SEB with you and attempt to rewrite the
rules.
Do not expect support from me or many others however. Then we could sling mud at
you,
flood you with requests to spend all of your free time legislating everybody's
wish
list,
or make my car competitive list. I KNOW you did not sling mud here and that is
not meant as an attack on you, but as an example of why i disagree with your
comments on the SEB.

Rob Pickrell