RE: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:23:09 -0600
> 2) By removing the cheat, the protested car was rendered no
> longer competitive;
> so much so that the car was sold - perhaps the owner even
> left the sport.

Maybe it was the DRIVER that was not competitive.  Apparently he was
not enjoying it unless he could win.

> It looks to me like a competitor took steps to increase his
> car's performance to
> where it was on par with the top dogs in his class, and
> then stopped there.

Would he have stopped there?
Does this mean that any less competent competitor should be allowed
whatever they want until they can win?

I want you on the protest committee when I show up with a turbo on my
car.  That is what it would take to make up for my lack of ability.

> was then pounced on by a rulebook lawyer, forced to play by
> the letter of the
> rules,

How do you know he was pounced on?  He may have had ample warning that
he was running illegally.

An illegal wheel width is not what I would consider "the letter of the
rules".  This is not a question of what brand name is on the vacuum
tubing.  This is an obvious violation that gave a significant
performance advantage.  It pulverized the spirit of the rules.

I have nothing against cutting a beginner some slack, but they do need
to realize that the slack is a gift that will disappear if it causes
them to win because of that gift.

> (i.e. "entry level") classes) I also believe that the rules
> we have today do not
> provide enough leeway for competitors with uncompetitive
> cars to make those cars
> competitive.

Do we hear a vote for the I class; where _I_ get to do what _I_ want
so that _I_ get to wIn.

How do we decide on just how many cheats (or should that read "special
allowances") a person is allowed so that they can make their car (with
them driving it) competitive?

Your local club has all the power in the world that you want to create
your "different rules for each car/driver class".

Let us know how it works and how many people stay in it after they
relalise that winning had noting to do with skill.  The winner will
end up being determined by the lawyer who can make the best case for
their special allowances.