Re: [Alpines] Oil pressure regulator valve

To: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Oil pressure regulator valve
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:06:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
>Someone please correct my faulty memory, but I seem to remember a cause of low
>oil pressure after an engine rebuild was the failure to replace the samshaft
>bearings.
>
>Jan Eyerman

Oh it can be much more than that.

Any of the white metal bearings will reduce oil pressure if the clearances are
not to spec.

Additionally, there is an internal oiling pipe that pees oil on the cam chain
rubbing block
that often is mis-assembled or downright missing that can cause low oil
pressure.

More often than not, its the bearing clearances, NOT the pump thats at fault.

A messed up pressure relief valve will typically not develop sufficient oil
pressure at any
RPM (since its dumping all the time), whereas bad clearances or very worn pump
will yield low
oil pressure at low RPMs and will generate the required 40 to 50 at some higher
RPM.
When this happens, the oil pressure relief is NOT the main culprit.

Jarrid Gross