Re: [Alpines] Oil pressure regulator valve

To: tom.hill@att.net, 'D W Spearing' <kb9csw@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Oil pressure regulator valve
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:24:56 -0800 (PST)
Sir- IF it is air, which I doubt, then you need to crack the fitting loose on
the back of the gauge- unless it is an earlier model electric gauge. Since you
mentioned air I will contimue to think it is a mechanical gauge with a
pressure line to the back of the gauge. IF you break the fitting loose- enough
to create a small leak you will be able to bleed any air from the line. The
problem this creates is catching the oil that leaks out of the gauge. Since
its an Alpine- removal of the line and using a catch pan may work the best-
you will then have a visual on how much pressure you are getting. Im sure I
have a spare gauge IF necessary Im glad to ship it to you.
I dont remember the particulars BUT there is a pressure relief valve that
requires cleaning as it will stick and mess with oil pressure. Otherwise it
has to be the screen or the pump itself. As mentioned previously- A rule of
thumb when rebuilding an engine is to always replace the pump. IF the cam
bearings or mains have been mismeasured and not the correct size, then you
would also receive a low oil pressure reading. Did you plastiagauge the main
bearings??The cam bearing cary a large end of the ammount of pressure. When I
was young we had a 56 Chrysley New Yorker. I learned later, after my Dad
passed away the car had a Hemi engine. I guess thats why I lost control when I
BORROWED the car at 14 and stopmed it down- the local cops in WVa just
happened to drive over the hill to witness me spinning the tires and driving
all over the road. They took me to my Mother as opposed to jail. Long story to
make the point that when Mom had the oil changed our
 mechanic used to prime the oil pump with STP to get it to pick up and pump.
Dad was gone and the mechanic was a family friend- he told my Mother it was
time for another car- next was a Chrysler Newport- the 360 wasnt a Hemi. Good
luck Lauri. Maybe its just the screen with debris etc restricting
pressure.Someone correct me if Im wrong BUT I think the pressure reief vale is
built into the base of the oil filter housing and it screws out so you can
clean and inspect the spring and maybe a screen thats inside- maybe it is a
spring and a metering device- I know I remember someone having low oil
pressure and the relief vale being stuck was the reason why.
TonytheTiger