Re: Timing chain rattle

To: jasonraser@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Timing chain rattle
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:48:59 EST
In a message dated 2/24/02 6:05:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jasonraser@yahoo.com writes:

<<<1) The chain the sent me was listed as a Series 12345,
but it had two links more than my old chain.  I just
took them out.  I compared the size to my old chain
with a $15 caliper and it seems to be good.

<< As far as taking the gears off.  The harmonic balancer
 came off by hand.  >>

My VB timing chain seemed to have two extra links, too, but I wasn't willing
to take a chance that it would be even slightly off.  Sounds like VB is still
packing the wrong part.  My purchase was at least four years ago!

The original balancers weren't machined with very close tolerance to the
crank, but it should take more effort than that to get it off.  You may want
to check the balancer keyway for a crack.

If it's a goner (keyway cracks can be difficult to repair) Sunbeam
Specialties sells a repro balancer.  Tolerances are much closer, definitely
requiring a puller to get it back off, but it's less likely to 'walk around'
and damage the crank if the bolt comes loose.  Very good quality.

Dick Sanders
Seattle