Re: Timing chain rattle

To: Louis & Laila <bwana@c2i2.com>, jumpinjan <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Timing chain rattle
From: Jason Raser <jasonraser@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:03:52 -0800 (PST)
I just installed a Victoria British timing chain this
weekend.

1) The chain the sent me was listed as a Series 12345,
but it had two links more than my old chain.  I just
took them out.  I compared the size to my old chain
with a $15 caliper and it seems to be good.

2) The old tensioner blade fit snug on the post you
slide it onto when installing it.  I had to bend the
VB tensioner to snug it up on the post.

3) The gears did not have the dimple on each gear to
line them up.  I just hit them with a center punch.  I
checked the size with the caliper too.

4) The rubber on the tensioner blade looked sort of
flimsy compared to the old one.

5) They didn't sell a gasket for it, so I ordered one
from Curt.

Now, I also have to explain that I only buy from VB if
I have to.  I returned a part to them about 1 1/2
years after I bought it and they gave me full credit
which I used toward the timing chain.

How did the timing chain work?  Don't know yet because
I'm still waiting for the gasket to put the cover on.

One question I have is about the rubber on the
tensioner.  The old tensioner obviously had marks
where the chain rubbed against it.  The new rubber is
pretty thik and I'm thinking it may wear away in big
chunks during the first few miles.  Any idea if this
will cause chunks to clog up things?

As far as taking the gears off.  The harmonic balancer
came off by hand.  I used a 3 finger gear puller on
the camshaft sprocket and the other gear just came off
at the same time by itself.

Curt told me to be sure to clean out the two oil pipes
too.  I only see one in my car, but two in the book.
I didn't see anyplace for the longer one. Anybody know
what I'm talking about?  Perhaps since the book shows
a 1492 engine it is showing two different pipes.

About the bolt that secures the harmonic balancer.
Besides the washer that has the 3 teeth sticking off
of it, should I be using anything else.  I sort of
expected to see a lock washer on the bolt when I
removed it and figure someone before me could have
forgot to put it back on.

Regards,
Jason Raser

http://sports.yahoo.com