Re: RE: Ferrari in an Alpine

To: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Ferrari in an Alpine
From: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:23:49 -0500
Hmmmmm, the Jensen Healey used a Hillman Avenger transmission (read Plymouth
Cricket) and this was available with an O/D????  I did not know that,
interesting.  I gather the later ZF trans was from a BMW.

Jan

Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com> wrote:
> David wrote,

First of all, the lotus JH engine (907) was 2 liters, not the 2.2
of the (910) used in the STL.  The stromberg 175cd equipped engine
produeced roughly 130BHP in stock form, but lotus did manufacture
a "weber" head for this series of engine, which produced more power.
These heads seem to have made there way over, but are not original
equipment for US based jensen exports.

The intake is on the same side as the alpine head, and the exhuast
is on the opposite side of the head (as should be).

The engine cants significantly which alleviates the steering box
problem in alpines (like the alpine GT/hunter setup only moreso).
The height of the engine is greatert than the alpine due to the
DOHC head,
BUT...
The engines angle is so great that it is probably shorter than the
alpine engine after it is mounted.

Personally I think it'd fit.
AND...
Jenson (rootes) 4 speed + OD transmisions are very available and
cheap as compared to alpine transmisions.
This because the later model ZF 5 speed is coveted by JH owners.

If anyone has the interest, I have a 907 engine available to me for
measurmeents.

Jarrid Gross