Re: [6pack] Tri carb set up

To: Gene Holtzclaw <motrv8d@hotmail.com>, dave n <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tri carb set up
From: Michael Porter via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 15:48:08 -0600
Cc: Triumph 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
--===============4151616832082297675==
 boundary="------------040208020104040709090804"

--------------040208020104040709090804

On 5/14/2016 2:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw via 6pack wrote:
> I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine can't
> flow what two Stromberg's can handle.

This is quite true, on the numbers from the flow bench of just the
carburetors and just the head.  I would say, however, that there's a
small advantage in having each carburetor servicing two runners, instead
of three, if only because the runners are straighter, and the pulses
from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined with three
carburetors instead of two.  Flow numbers aren't everything--they
matter, but so do mixture distribution and mixture uniformity.  My guess
is--because of the upper limits on flow of the head--there wouldn't be a
great top-end power increase, but the low- and mid-range performance
would probably improve some, and there would be slight torque
improvement because patchy mixtures delivered to some cylinders would be
reduced.

That said, the difference is going to be small, because of the port
limitations of the cylinder head.  Is the improvement worth the money?
That's probably subjective.  A hundred bucks a horsepower is pretty dear
for the occasional driver.  For the NASCAR guy, it's a bargain.

Dyno comparisons on the same engine would probably tell the tale.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

--------------040208020104040709090804

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      via 6pack wrote:<br>
cite="mid:BY2PR15MB037695698DD1642F72A5D89EE1750@BY2PR15MB0376.namprd15.prod.outlook.com"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
          engine can't flow what two Stromberg's can handle.</div>
    This is quite true, on the numbers from the flow bench of just the
    carburetors and just the head.  I would say, however, that there's a
    small advantage in having each carburetor servicing two runners,
    instead of three, if only because the runners are straighter, and
    the pulses from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined
    with three carburetors instead of two.  Flow numbers aren't
    everything--they matter, but so do mixture distribution and mixture
    uniformity.  My guess is--because of the upper limits on flow of the
    head--there wouldn't be a great top-end power increase, but the low-
    and mid-range performance would probably improve some, and there
    would be slight torque improvement because patchy mixtures delivered
    to some cylinders would be reduced.<br>
    That said, the difference is going to be small, because of the port
    limitations of the cylinder head.  Is the improvement worth the
    money? That's probably subjective.  A hundred bucks a horsepower is
    pretty dear for the occasional driver.  For the NASCAR guy, it's a
    bargain.      <br>
    Dyno comparisons on the same engine would probably tell the tale.<br>
    Cheers.  <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....</pre>

--------------040208020104040709090804--