Re: [6pack] Road trip

To: im sloane <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Road trip
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hi

I've had AAA for years. I have the super-duper version, I think it's
AAA-plus or AAA-gold. Whatever.

I have had a wide variety of experience with them, but mostly good. Part
of that is because of the fact that they contract with indepenent
franchises / vendors. In fact, the worst "bad" cases were downright scary.

BUT (and this is pertitent to the issue at hand), when I needed a flatbed
tow 73 miles from New Hampshire Speedway to my house, the truck driver was
AWESOME. He saw the car and new to do it right.

I had one short haul when my points died about 10 or 12 miles from home.
The guy was real nice, but a bit clueless about old cars. As the result of
his lack of undestanding old cars, he wound up pulling a chunk of my frame
off... really (he thought his towing hook would "hold just fine" on the
holes near the bumper end of the frame. Good thing we had the car in gear
with the e-brake on! I never gave him any crap about it. He was shipping
to Iraq the next week or so (National Guard and called up). True story.

But I've had probably 10 incidents from jump starts in KANSAS (I live in
Massachusetts) to lock outs (these are becoming more frequent for me...
old age? NAH!) to 75 mile tows and with one exception, the service
provided was worth it.

I'll skip the lockout story when I almost won a regional driving
championship and sold my mother's house all while we got 8 inches of rain
in one day!

But bad towing stories usually start out predictably and go downhill from
there.

Oh, and the 73 mile tow would have been well over $200 w/o AAA-plus. And
good towtruck drivers KNOW where the ATMs are located.

:-)

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489