Re: [6pack] Engine Preluber

To: DLylis@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Engine Preluber
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:44:17 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 DLylis@aol.com wrote:

> Replacing the thrust washers is the most common internal engine repair in a
> TR6 motor.

Really! More often than broken rocker shafts or the dreaded lost rocker
shaft set screw? What do you base this observation on?

> That they fail only because they are put in backwards is simply
> not true.

First off, the statement was the the t/w's fail either because they are
installed backwards OR they fail from abuse.

I stand 100% behind my statement. Every motor that I've worked on that had
a t/w "failure" has been either improper installation or abuse. I've NEVER
seen a t/w "just fall out". Ever.

The fact that the illustration in the FACTORY reprint manual is WRONG does
contribute to the impropoer installation of the thrust washers.

Also note - the rear bearing is almost always the one that fails. I've
never seen both out unless the rear one was out for a while and those are
easy to see because the block and main cap are scored (and typically the
block is trashed).

Think about this (as far a t/w's falling out...) Kastner measured flywheel
runout of 5/8" at high RPM. That is a LOT of crank flex.

But the other take-home on this discussion is that a lot of folks seem to
think that t/w failure is very common. This is not true. Yes there are
failures, but when you look at all the facts, the conclusions are obvious.
Take out the improperly built engines and the number is very small indeed.

> David  Lylis
> 69 TR6 CC26160L
> 60 TR3A TS74461LO

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489